This recipe is from Emma's Goodies, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIZWZ3qHCEg
I just added the drip because I wanted to master it (lol). This is not a super-sweet cake, but just perfect.
Caramel Brown Butter Cake
- 1 stick of Brown Butter
- 3 Tbsp Coconut Oil
- 5.5 ounces of Caramel*** (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyOam... , make the caramel sauce using my recipe, then weigh out the amount you need for the cake.) *** NOTE: To ensure you get a strong caramel flavor in the cake, make sure you take the caramel to a dark amber color.***
- 2 tsp Vanilla
- 3 Eggs
- 1 3/4 cups Flour
- 3 tsp Baking Powder
- 3/4 cup Milk
- 1/2 tsp Salt
1. Make brown butter... cook the stick of butter over medium heat and bring to a boil. You will know it is ready when it becomes slightly brown, it will darken in color and have a nutty aroma. Take off heat or it will burn. Let it cool (set aside).
2. Make caramel...
- 1 1/4 cups Sugar
-1/4 cup + 1 tbsp Water
Add at the end:
- 1/4 cup + 2 tbsp Warm Water
- 1 tsp of Salt
Important and interesting facts about caramel:
◘ Do NOT taste the caramel when hot. Allow it to cool before tasting.
◘ When the caramel has turned an amber color it can burn within seconds. Do not walk away. ◘ More water is added at the end otherwise the caramel will harden.
◘ The amount of water you add at the end will determine how loose or how thick your caramel will be. For a looser caramel add more water. For a thicker sauce add less water at the end.
In deep good pot add sugar & water & over low until sugar dissolves without stirring.
Then put on high and it will bubble -- after 10 minutes or so it will become slight yellow then deep amber. Turn off stove immediately or in seconds it will burn.
At this point, add WARM water... be careful because it will bubble over. Add salt.
Strain into heat proof bowl. Chill 4 hours plus.
3. Make cake...
Mix together oil, browned butter, caramel. Add eggs one at a time (3 large or 4 small). Sift dry ingredients together in separate bowl. Add milk and dry ingredients sifted together... mix just til together -- don't overmix. Divide between 2-3 prepared cake pans (greased floured and parchment). 350 20-24 minutes. Check with toothpick. Cool for 5 minutes and take out.
Caramel Popcorn :
- 3 ounces Popcorn( already popped)
- 2 1/2 tbsp honey grams Honey
- 1/2 tsp of Salt
- 3/4 stick Butter
- 3/4 cup Brown Sugar
- 1/3 tsp Baking Soda
Put popcorn in tall saucepan. In another add butter, brown sugar & honey. Melt and boil and cook about 2 minutes. Add salt & baking soda (mixture will rise). Turn off stove and add to popcorn. Fold in. Spread on baking sheet with parchment. 260 degrees 15 minutes. Stir. Cook another 15 minutes. Take it out and cool completely. Don't touch until hardened. Break into big pieces.
Frosting: Italian Meringue Buttercream: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3ndU... OR for those of you that don't eat eggs and would like to know what frosting to pair with my caramel cake, you can either make my regular buttercream frosting or my stabilized mascarpone whipped cream or even cream cheese frosting if you prefer! The options are endless and all so good! :)
Ingredients in grams and cups:
- 6 Egg Whites ( ROOM TEMPERATURE)
- 300 gr Sugar ( 1 1/2 cups)
- 300 gr Soft Butter (2 1/2 STICKS) (you can use vanilla bean into butter instead of vanilla)*
*some recipes say to whip butter up separately to get it to stage to be easily incorporated
- 2 tsp Vanilla Extract ( Use good quality)
- 85 gr Water ( 3 ounces)
- Pinch of Salt
- 1/4 tsp Cream of tartar
→ Additional things you need to know about this frosting:
● Allow the sugar to dissolve and then bring to a boil. Let it boil for around 2-3 minutes. Don't boil more than that and don't stir! If you're using a thermometer don't let the mixture go over 120 degrees celsius (or 240 degrees) -- whenever water evaporates.
● This frosting can be kept both in the fridge or at room temp (unless it's summer).
● Please don't be discouraged if the first time you make this frosting it doesn't turn out as expected. It takes some practice and patience, but once you understand how to make it, it's super easy!
Have sugar melt and boil gently about 3 minutes -- you will see bubbles thicken.
Beat egg whites and cream of tarter when sugar has been melting only 1 minute. When mixture is boiling, once egg whites are in soft peaks, add sugar mixture in in a stream. Whip until COMPLETELY cooled. You can begin to add butter ONLY when meringue is completely cooled and at room temperature. Add butter a bit at a time, and the meringue will deflate. Don't panic. It will get grainy. Whip another 3-5 minutes.
You can put it bowl covered tightly for 2 days for best flavor and refrigerate. Develops better flavor. BRING TO ROOM TEMPERATURE COMPLETELY -- at least 2 hours before whipping. Whip it up before using. If it separates put hot towel around it.
When frosting, you can drizzle caramel between layers if desired.